Visit Insightful Brain

Visit insightfulbrain.com for free and affordable printable materials

Fingernail Clipping Activity

I was in need of an activity that reinforced fine motor skills with my children. Interest in playdoh and push pin work has waned for right now. Therefore, I pulled out an old favorite --- fingernail clipping.

When I first introduced this activity a while ago, we traced our hands and drew fingernails on them and practiced cutting the paper nails. 


I decided to try an updated version this time when I brought the fingernail clippers back to the shelf. I cut small strips of paper (I used three different colors) approximately 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. I used red, green, and blue for this activity (mainly because these are the colors that I found first in the art bucket).





I pulled out our measuring spoons and separated the 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, and 1 tsp from the ring.
I affixed red, blue, and green bands around each spoon.


I used a white sheet of paper and labeled the placement of the objects. This also teaches the measurements of 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, and 1 tsp. The child uses the fingernail clippers to cut small pieces of paper and fills up the spoons according to the color of the band on the spoon. 

The aspect I really liked about this variation is that the children spent more time actually practicing cutting with the clippers as they had the goal of filling up each spoon - which helped my goal of them practicing their fine motor skills longer!





Visit Montessori For Learning by Insightful Brain for more montessori materials!








2 comments:

  1. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    PS I have a little blog award for you here:
    http://leptir-mojpribor.blogspot.com/2010/12/award-your-blog-is-fabulous.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat. Thanks for leaving me the comment with the links to the oceans songs. Very helpful. I really appreciated it. :) I don't know why you were not on my blogroll but I just added you.

    ReplyDelete