Visit Insightful Brain

Visit insightfulbrain.com for free and affordable printable materials

Jokes and Reading

My children love jokes, and any type of anomalies from the "norm" in their environment. It really doesn't take a whole lot to make them laugh, smile, and have a good time. I try to capitalize on this as much as possible when it comes to their learning. 

I also try to incorporate as many opportunities to practice reading skills as possible, and as fun and naturally as possible. One of the ways we do this is by leaving kid-friendly jokes in a variety of places where my older two children can practice non-phonetic reading skills.
I also have noticed that reading jokes has also helped in the development of their critical thinking skills, comparison skills, and vocabulary skills. It has also helped with grammar. Homonyms, homophones, etc. are found in many jokes.
Many times I will type up some jokes (or handwrite them on slips of paper, whichever is more convenient),  cut them apart and place them in a bucket. We will take turns pulling out the cards and reading them together before or after dinner.


We also have "mailboxes" they made and decorated themselves in their rooms where we leave notes for each other periodically. I also place little jokes in envelopes from time to time and slide it in their mailslots. They get so excited when they get "mail."

I also roll the pieces of paper and place them in little jars and leave them in different places in the house and we play "hot" and "cold" hide and seek to find them. I hide the jokes in the small jars (about 3-6 jars) and I give them hints as how close they are to them by telling them they are "hot" if they are close by and "cold" if they are far away.

I have a few jokes already pre-printed for free at www.montessoriforlearning.com. Please feel free to visit and download!


No comments:

Post a Comment